Celtic Dreams Holiday Ornaments
Thurs. Evening Dec 1
6:30 – 8:30 Eastern
Sunday afternoon Dec. 4
1:30 – 3:30 pm
- Have fun exploring colored pencil techniques while you create lovely holiday ornaments for gifts or decorations!
- Celtic holiday imagery includes the candle, the holly sprig and Gaia, our Mother Earth…several different ornament options are offered, choose the one you like best or try them all.
- Coloring is akin to meditative practice, and has been shown to reduce stress and enhance relaxation and wellbeing, so expect to feel better as you create a few very special holiday ornaments!
- Tip: once you color in one ornament, you can make multiple color copies of it on card stock for all your recipients! Then add just a touch of glitter or a couple of rhinestones for that handcrafted look and you’ll have a selection of original designer gifts in a jiffy. These lovely ornaments can even fold flat for mailing.
WHAT YOU LEARN:
- You’ll learn how to create charming ornaments from templates as you practice these techniques:
- three-color blending method
- burnishing techniques
- the secrets of creating the illusion of metallic brass or gold in colored pencil.
WHAT YOU GET:
- Fifteen pages of downloadable pdfs with supply list, info, resources, and templates as soon as you sign up. (Be sure you can open pdfs on your device.)
- An opportunity to relax and have fun while you learn and practice colored pencil techniques
- Extra time if needed: Meryl Ann will hang out after the workshop with any students who are still in the throes of creativity and want to continue. (Students who need to leave on time or early will still get all the information they need to complete projects.)
- Access to the recording if you want to experience portions of the workshop again or if you prefer to complete the workshop on your own instead of attending live.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Access to a printer. If your home printer isn’t friendly with card stock, local office supply stores can print for you. Craft supplies needed: card stock, colored pencil set (Prismacolor recommended), colorless blender (optional), pencil sharpener, eraser, scissors, glue.
- Neenah Exact Vellum Bristol Card Stock, 8.5″ x 11,” 67 lb/147 gsm, White, 94 Brightness, 250 Sheets is recommended (available on Amazon, more info in your pdf handout).
- Colored pencils: A set of 48 or 60 Prismacolor pencils has enough colors for this workshop and all of my other colored pencil workshops, although a smaller set can be used, and larger sets are a lovely luxury.
- The more detailed supply list as well as the Zoom link will be provided as soon as you register.
- This workshop is suitable for beginner and intermediate colored pencil students.
Upcoming Workshops: Times and Dates TBA
Learn by copying: Georgia O’Keeffe’s Poppies
You’ll learn Meryl Ann’s valuable methods as you paint a copy of Oriental Poppies, 18” x 24.”
The initial underpainting is done in acrylics in order to create depth of color, the top painting is done in oils for ease in blending. Copying from the Old Masters is one of the most basic traditional learning methods – in fact, the reason art museums were founded was in order to provide great works for art students to copy!
Elements of Art: Keys of Color
Students receive a pdf of Meryl Ann’s 30-page workbook, Elements of Art: Keys of Color, and during workshop times, will complete the color charts that accompany the workbook. Students go at their own pace. Supplies: a set of gouache (not acrylic gouache) and brushes.
Drawing Tips and Secrets
Demos and hands on activities to train you eye and hand, and a peek into some of the secrets the Masters used for accuracy in drawing.